Happy weekend folks! To kick off my "Husband's Away, the Bloggers will Play" event week I have Beck from Utah Sweet Savings today! We're swapping blogs for the day so when you're done drooling over the recipe below, make sure to head over to Becky's blog and check out my recipe for thrifty bean eating fun times!
So without further ado, take it away Becky!
Hey Quilted Euphoria readers! I'm super excited to be here. My name is Becky and I blog over at Utah Sweet Savings. We share amazing deals for Utah and national readers alike. I blog with two other wonderful ladies, Lorraine and Jill. Not only do we share awesome deals, but we also share fun and cheap activities in Utah and have CRAZY SWEET Giveaways from local and national companies. Most of all, we love to have fun and share a little bit about ourselves on our blog.
Right now, I have been blogging about a weight loss journey that I have been on for the last 14 weeks. It has been an adventure and so far I have lost 44 pounds! During this process I have learned a lot about myself and a lot about food. I am completely off all refined sugars and simple carbs. Which translates into no pasta, bread, sweets, ect. I even have to stay away from most spaghetti sauces. Sad, right? Well, actually no, not really. I have learned how to make dishes the trick my mind into thinking that I am getting the carbs and sugars that I want. Awesome, right!
Here I am before and after. The first one was taken in June. The second was taken just a few days ago.
Well, when Amber asked me to share something "fall(ish)" I knew I just had to share my Zucchini Lasagna with you. Now, I'm not a craft or food blogger, so I don't have amazing pictures to go with my recipe. But, trust me, it is Awesome!!
Favorite dish, but healthier! This recipe makes 4 servings. I doubled it to make a larger Lasagna to have some for leftovers.
- 2 Zucchini (thin sliced with peeler )
- 16oz Ground Turkey (very lean)
- 2c Low-Carb Spaghetti Sauce (or make your own with tomatoes and blender) I made my own - more info on that below.
- 2 c Spinach (fresh)
- 12oz Cottage Cheese (1%) – I used No Fat. It was great!
- 1 Egg
- 4oz Mozzarella (low fat)
- With a potato peeler, slice zucchini into thin ribbons for “noodles.” (My “noodles” were much thinner than in the picture above but they worked great. I made too many so I double layered them and it was perfect. )
- Make spaghetti sauce if you are making your own. *(see below)
- Brown ground turkey and add sauce.
- Combine spinach (chopped), cottage cheese, and egg in bowl.
- In a pan layer turkey and sauce, cottage cheese mixture, and zucchini “noodles.” Repeat layers.
- Top with Mozzarella Cheese (I used about half).
Cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes- enjoy your healthy “lasagna” with the whole family!
**Heads up, mine didn’t look like the picture. It was much more soupy. Of course, it took me a little bit longer to make than I thought it would, so we were HUNGRY and didn’t wait for it to set. It might have firmed up a little bit.
I have also found that if you make your spaghetti sauce a little bit thicker, it will help. It will still be a little bit soupy, so just be prepared. It tastes AMAZING though.
Easy Spaghetti Sauce
- 2-3 cans Tomatoes (I used 2 cans Fire Roasted and one regular for more flavor) – You could use fresh tomatoes if you have them.
- 1 can Mushrooms
- 2 packets Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning
Put Tomatoes in a blender and puree. **Note: If you have fresh tomatoes, make sure to squeeze out most of the liquids in the sink before putting them in the blender.** Combine mushrooms and Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning and you have an easy and yummy spaghetti sauce.
Try it out and let me know if you like it. I also have posted how to make spaghetti squash and some recipes for Sugar Free Ketchup and Sugar Free Cocktail sauce. So Yummy and so much better for you!! Come check them out!
Oh my gosh, that looks delicious! I think I might have to try that at our house in the not too distant future. I'm so thrilled that Becky came and hijacked my blog today. Make sure to check out my post on hers and tell her I sent ya!
Happy Weekend Folks!